Friday, July 20, 2012

dolphy

On July 10, the Philippines lost a TV and Film icon, who we may not be able to call a National Artist just yet but is a true National Treasure, nonetheless.
Born Rodolfo Vera Quizon, Sr., Dolphy was known for many roles and names. To us, the younger breed of audiences, we remember him as Kevin Cosme, the patriarch in the defunct sitcom Home Along Da Riles.
I cannot claim being a fan of Mang Pidol, although I have been a fond viewer of his program back when I was a child. I may not be able to elucidate my memories of his show and his portrayals but I do recognise the man, the face, the voice, the laughter.
That is enough to boil into a conclusion that he has left a mark in my memory although I cannot overemphasise the effect it has brought to my growing up as a child to a young adult now.
What I can say for sure is that this man was a prolific contributor to Philippine cinema. He starred in hundreds of films and made generations laugh. That transcendental attribute of him and his work is something we cannot discount.
His brand of comedy may not be my preference, but I have high respect for Dolphy. There must something in the man which earned him not only the love of the showbiz but also the love of the nation.
Besides all his numerous TV and film outings, what we can remember is the man, the father that he is. His death was a loss to his family and beyond — the households he touched in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment