Tuesday, January 17, 2012

trial and error

I have never been, in any way, political in nature. That is why I find political news and events boring, and to a point, disgusting, especially in the Philippines.
You see, at some days you think this place is paradise and the next day, it’s hell.
Just like now.
Impeachment.

The very fact that the word itself sounds complicated makes me scratch every inch of my head and resign to the fact that I will have a really good headache trying to make myself understand it.
I would have wanted to watch the TV special of Cheche Lazaro aired over the weekend but since I have to attend to work early the next day, I missed my attempt to lash off my ignorance.
But it doesn’t need a TV special or a law lecture 101 to make me understand that this Impeachment is a stain in history. The Philippines is not a virgin of the Impeachment trial.
We saw Erap impeached. We wanted GMA impeached. We tried to impeach Merciditas Guttierez. Fortunately, the Ombudsman spared us the airtime and resigned, herself.
But the Chief Justice Renato Corona wouldn’t do the same.
Now, our senate has once again turned red literally and otherwise to investigate one of the most important pillars of the government, the highest man of law in RP.
Spare me from the legalities that this frustrating, highly cerebral trial entails. What I know for sure is that after all of the blackest, meanest, most unfounded, least credible and most malicious propaganda against and for the Chief Justice are brought out in the open, we will still have the same food on our plate and the same wages.
It will be Elections once again next year. Not only will this Impeachment be a trial against the CJ, it will also be a grand showcase and battlefield of political colors, of aspirants wanting to glue themselves on their precious senatorial posts.
Those who would want to get indorsed by Noynoy, who happens to be the president, will of course try to imperil Corona’s reputation, as much as he can, earning the president’s favor and getting a clearer view on the 2013 ballot turnouts.
Sadly, this will be same old politics.
More than the senate, the outskirts will be more festive and action-filled, with more bombastic, more scandalous accusations made out of court premises. The speakers of which, will be superstars in minutes. Voila! Free PR.
Sigh.
A lot of pedestrians too, will pretend to understand the proceeding and argue with their neighbors.
The only true beneficiaries are the TV networks who get the coverage, pull advertisers, earn a living.
And we, the commoners, we will still get on with our plain lives as our government becomes busy putting up a convincingly good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment